Board games are a fantastic way to spend time with friends and family while learning about history. History board games can take you back in time, from ancient Rome to World War II. In this article, we’ll discuss the best history board games available.
When looking for a history board game, consider the time period or event you’re interested in. Some games focus on a specific era, while others cover a broader range of history. Also, consider the skill level of the players involved.
Accuracy is critical when purchasing a history board game. Some games take liberties with historical accuracy for gameplay, while others strive to be authentic. We’ve considered this when selecting our recommendations.
In the following sections, we’ll discuss the top history board games available, including gameplay, historical accuracy, and overall fun factor. Whether you’re a history buff or looking for a new game to play with friends, we’ve got you covered.
Best History Board Games
We love board games that transport us to a different time and place, and history-themed games do just that. Whether you’re a history buff or just looking for a fun way to learn something new, we’ve rounded up the best history board games on Amazon. From ancient civilizations to World War II, these games will take you on a journey through time. Here are our top picks for the best history board games available on Amazon.
If you’re a fan of history and trivia, we recommend checking out the HISTORY Channel Trivia Game. With over 2,000 questions spanning five diverse categories, this game is perfect for anyone looking to test their knowledge and have a blast doing it.
- Created in partnership with The HISTORY Channel, ensuring high-quality and accurate historical content.
- Over 2,000 questions covering a wide range of topics, making it suitable for players with different interests and knowledge levels.
- Fast-paced gameplay, perfect for game nights or quick rounds of trivia.
- Some players may find the questions too difficult or obscure.
- The game requires at least two players, so it’s not suitable for solo play.
- The recommended age of 14+ may exclude younger players who are interested in history and trivia.
The HISTORY Channel Trivia Game is a great way to learn new historical facts and have fun with friends and family. The questions are challenging but not impossible, and the diverse categories ensure that there’s something for everyone. If you’re looking for a fun and educational game to play with others, we highly recommend giving this one a try.
The game’s gameplay is easy to learn and fast-paced, with each round lasting only 30-45 minutes. The game divides the questions into five categories – Arts & Culture, Sports & Recreation, Science & Technology, Geography & Landmarks, and People & Events – allowing players to choose which topics they feel most confident in.
One of the best things about the HISTORY Channel Trivia Game is that it’s officially licensed by The HISTORY Channel, so you can be sure that the historical content is accurate and high-quality. The game also makes a great gift for history buffs or trivia lovers.
If you’re looking for a history board game that’s perfect for family game night, Trekking Through History is a great option.
- The game features 108 oversized cards with original art showcasing real historical people and events, making it an engaging and educational experience for players of all ages.
- Historians and experts created the game, ensuring that it is well-researched and full of interesting facts and stories for history buffs to discover.
- The Time-Warp Mini Expansion is an optional addition that adds an extra layer of strategy and tactics to the game. This expansion gives players special time-bending powers that they can use only once.
- The game may not offer enough complexity or challenge for more experienced strategy board game players.
- Some players may find the game’s reliance on luck and chance to be frustrating at times.
- The game’s production quality and stunning artwork may make it a bit pricey for some budget-conscious buyers.
Overall, if you’re looking for a fun and educational history board game that’s perfect for family game night, Trekking Through History is definitely worth checking out. With its engaging gameplay, well-researched content, and stunning artwork, it’s sure to be a hit with history buffs of all ages.
If you’re looking for a fun and educational game for your next family game night, Chronology by Buffalo Games is a great choice.
- Build your own timeline of historical events.
- Recommended for 2 to 8 players, ages 14+.
- Made in the USA.
- Some may find the game too easy or too difficult.
- Some of the events may be unfamiliar to some players.
- The game may not be as engaging for younger children.
Chronology is a game where players build their own timeline of historical events. The game includes 429 double-sided cards with 858 events, so there are plenty of possibilities for different games. One player reads a historical event from a card, and the other players must decide where that event falls in their timeline. If they are correct, they keep the card and their timeline grows. The first player to build a timeline of 10 cards wins!
The game is recommended for 2 to 8 players, ages 14 and up. It’s a great way to learn about history and have fun at the same time. The game is made in the USA, so you can feel good about supporting American manufacturing.
One potential downside of the game is that some players may find it too easy or too difficult, depending on their knowledge of history. Additionally, some of the events may be unfamiliar to some players, which could make the game less engaging. Finally, the game may not be as engaging for younger children, who may not have as much interest in history.
Overall, if you’re looking for a fun and educational game for your next family game night, Chronology is a great choice.
If you’re looking for a board game that’s easy to learn and quick to play, Capstone Games: Watergate might be the perfect choice for you.
- The game is designed for two players, making it perfect for couples or friends who want to play a game together.
- The game is easy to learn, so you can start playing right away without having to spend hours reading through instructions.
- The game is quick to play, with most games lasting between 30 and 60 minutes.
- The game is only designed for two players, so it’s not suitable for larger groups.
- The game is focused on the Watergate scandal, so if you’re not interested in history or politics, you might not enjoy it.
- The game doesn’t have a lot of replay value, as there are only two sides to play and the strategies don’t change much from game to game.
Capstone Games: Watergate is a two-player card-driven game that’s based on the notorious political scandal of the same name. The game comes with a history of Watergate included, so you can learn about the scandal as you play.
In the game, one player takes on the role of the Nixon Administration, while the other player takes on the role of the journalists who are trying to uncover the truth. It is a back-and-forth battle between the two sides, with each player trying to gain the upper hand and come out on top.
The game easy to learn, with most players picking up the rules within a few minutes. The game is also quick to play, with most games lasting between 30 and 60 minutes. This makes it a great choice for couples or friends who want to play a game together but don’t have a lot of time.
If you’re looking for a board game that will take you through the ages and let you forge your own empire, History of the World by Z-Man Games might be the game for you.
- Marshall your forces and defeat your adversaries.
- At the end of the game, only the player with the most points will have their immortal name etched into the annals of history!
- Whoever can make the best use of their civilization’s unique attributes will position themselves to rule through the ages.
- The game can be a bit cumbersome to learn at first.
- Some players might find the game too luck-based.
- The game can take a while to play, especially with a full six players.
History of the World is a game that lets you take control of a civilization and try to guide it through the ages. The game is split up into several epochs, each representing a different time period in human history. As you play, you’ll move your armies across the board, conquer territories, and try to score points by completing various objectives.
One of the things we like about History of the World is that it’s a game that rewards strategic thinking. Each civilization has its own unique strengths and weaknesses, and players who can make the best use of these attributes will be in a better position to win the game.
Overall, we think History of the World is a solid choice for anyone who’s looking for a board game that’s both fun and educational. If you’re willing to put in the time to learn the rules and develop your strategy, you might find that this game is one of your favorites.
If you’re a history buff looking for a fun and immersive tabletop game, the Hasbro Gaming Avalon Hill Axis & Allies 1942 Second Edition WWII Strategy Board Game is definitely worth considering.
- The large gameboard (40″ x 26″) helps to create an enhanced play experience.
- With over 400 plastic pieces, including Antiaircraft Artillery combat unit and 5 sculpts, the game offers a lot of variety.
- Take command of the forces from the UK, US, Soviet Union, Germany, or Japan and plot a strategy for world domination.
- The game takes about 4 hours to play, which may be too long for some players.
- The 33-page rule book can be overwhelming for beginners.
- The game is designed for 2-5 players, which may not be ideal for larger groups.
In terms of gameplay, the Hasbro Gaming Avalon Hill Axis & Allies 1942 Second Edition WWII Strategy Board Game offers an immersive narrative that allows players to experience an exciting night of tabletop gameplay. The game is easy enough to learn, though beginners may want to watch a video tutorial or two to understand the rules better.
The game is designed for 2-5 players, which is perfect for small groups of friends or family members. However, the game may not be ideal for larger groups, as it can take up to 4 hours to play. Additionally, the 33-page rule book can be overwhelming for beginners, so it’s essential to take the time to read through it before starting the game.
Overall, if you’re a history buff looking for a fun and challenging tabletop game, the Hasbro Gaming Avalon Hill Axis & Allies 1942 Second Edition WWII Strategy Board Game is definitely worth checking out.
If you’re looking for a challenging and competitive strategy game, Civilization A New Dawn Board Game is a great choice for you.
- The game is based on the popular video game series, allowing players to become some of history’s greatest leaders as they advance their people through the ages.
- The game is challenging and competitive, requiring players to balance their nation’s pursuits to build a new society greater than any that has come before.
- The game is suitable for 2 to 4 players and has an average playtime of approximately 1 to 2 hours.
- The game has a steep learning curve, and it may take a while to understand all the rules and strategies.
- Setting up the game can take a long time, which may be frustrating for some players.
- The game is quite involved, and it may take a while to complete a game.
Civilization A New Dawn Board Game is a turn-based strategy game that is made for 2 to 4 players and is suitable for ages 14 and older. The game is challenging and competitive, requiring players to balance their nation’s pursuits to build a new society greater than any that has come before.
Players must expand their domains, gain new technologies, and build wonders to rise above all others and shape the world to their own vision. Will you conquer the world by spreading your influence, defeating enemy armies, or becoming the most technologically advanced nation in the world? The fate of your civilization rests in your hands.
If you’re looking for a fun and educational game for family game night, Herstory: The Board Game of Remarkable Women is a great option.
- Discover iconic historical women as you do research, draft chapters, and complete the highest scoring book to win!
- All purchases include donations to The Malala Fund, which helps educate girls all over the world.
- Simple rules and incredible gameplay make it easy to start playing in only 5 minutes.
- Some players may find that the game lacks replay value.
- The game may not be challenging enough for experienced board gamers.
- The minimum age recommendation of 8 may be too young for some players.
Herstory features 120 historic women, from Joan of Arc to Malala, and includes historical legends and modern favorites. Designed with passion, over 20 women worked on the creation of this game, including educators, historians, mothers, daughters, and more.
The game is easy to learn and play, with simple rules and incredible gameplay that will have you hooked in no time. As you play, you’ll discover iconic historical women and learn about their stories and accomplishments.
Overall, Herstory is a great addition to any board game collection, especially if you’re looking for an educational game that’s fun for the whole family. Plus, with all purchases including donations to The Malala Fund, you can feel good about supporting a great cause while having fun.
If you want to improve your knowledge about the 50 states of the USA while having fun, then you should definitely check out the Skillmatics Card Game – Guess in 10 States of America.
- Quick and fun game to learn about the states of America
- Portable and travel-friendly
- Builds key skills such as Communication, Decision Making, Problem Solving and Creative Thinking Skills
- Limited replayability
- Not suitable for players under 8 years old
- Some questions may be too difficult for some players
This game is perfect for family game night and can be enjoyed by all ages 8 and up. The game is easy to learn and can be played in just 20 minutes. It includes 50 game cards, 6 clue cards, and a handy box to store it all.
The game is played by dividing yourselves up in teams or playing one on one, and asking up to 10 questions to guess the state on the game card. The game includes exciting features such as Clue Cards and Bonus Questions to plan your way to winning 7 cards.
Playing this game can help build key skills such as Communication, Decision Making, Problem Solving and Creative Thinking Skills. It also makes a great gift for boys, girls, parents, adults, friends, and families who love board games or card games.
If you’re looking for a fun and educational history-themed card game, then Ginger Fox Placing The Past is a great choice.
- This game is a fun way to learn about historical events and timelines.
- It’s easy to learn and play, making it perfect for family game night or parties.
- The game is designed for short and long games, so you can decide how many rounds to play.
- The game may not be challenging enough for history buffs.
- Some of the trivia cards may be too difficult for younger players.
- The game may become repetitive after several rounds.
Ginger Fox Placing The Past is a memory-based card game that challenges players to correctly place trivia cards of historical events in the correct timeline. The game is perfect for anyone who enjoys history and wants to test their knowledge.
The game is easy to learn and play, making it perfect for family game night or parties. With 240 event cards, you’ll enjoy several rounds of fun games and a great number of timeline combinations. Plus, the game is designed for short and long games, so you can decide how many rounds to play.
One of the downsides of the game is that it may not be challenging enough for history buffs. Some of the trivia cards may be too difficult for younger players, which can make the game frustrating for them. Additionally, the game may become repetitive after several rounds.
Overall, Ginger Fox Placing The Past is a great choice for anyone who loves history and wants to have fun while learning. It’s easy to learn and play, making it perfect for family game night or parties.
When it comes to choosing the best history board game, there are a few key factors to consider. Here are some things to keep in mind to help you make an informed decision:
Theme and Time Period
The first thing to consider is the theme and time period of the game. History spans a vast range of eras and events, so it’s important to choose a game that aligns with your interests. Some popular themes include ancient civilizations, medieval times, and World War II.
Complexity and Difficulty
Another important factor to consider is the complexity and difficulty of the game. Some history board games are designed for casual players, while others are more complex and require a greater investment of time and effort. Consider your own level of experience and comfort with board games, and choose a game that matches your skill level.
The game mechanics of a history board game can also play a role in your decision-making process. Some games use dice rolls and chance, while others rely more heavily on strategy and decision-making. Consider the type of gameplay you enjoy most, and choose a game that aligns with your preferences.
Player Count and Game Length
Lastly, consider the player count and game length of the history board game. Some games are designed for small groups, while others can accommodate larger groups. Similarly, some games can be played in under an hour, while others may take several hours to complete. Choose a game that aligns with your group size and time constraints.
By considering these factors, you can choose the best history board game for your interests and preferences.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some of the top-selling history board games?
Some of the top-selling history board games include Risk, Axis and Allies, Civilization, and Twilight Struggle.
What are the best history board games for adults?
Some of the best history board games for adults are Through the Ages, Agricola, Brass: Birmingham, and Terraforming Mars.
Which board game is considered the most successful in US history?
The board game considered the most successful in US history is “Monopoly”, which has sold over 250 million copies worldwide since it was first published in 1935.
What is the most ancient board game?
The most ancient board game is believed to be “Senet”, which was played in ancient Egypt as early as 3100 BCE.